Friday, December 5, 2008

Promise kept!

As promised, finally took some footage of the famous figueira tree Florianopolis' centro (downtown). I ran out of batteries twice while filming this cause it's so big. Also cause I wasted all my batteries on 7 time F1 Champion Michael Schumacher and his faithful go kart (which died on him during the 2nd heat). Its probably a good thing that I ran out of power cause I probably would have kept walking around that tree in wonderment forever despite my fear of the street toughs who are also attracted to it's aura. My camera would have probably just looooooved that though. You see technically, walking around the tree 3 times with someone, engages you both in instant matrimony without the option for a prenup. That's just what my FujiFilm FinePix s1000 would have wanted. She's been after data bank account since day one. Maxing out my memory cards all the time. Begging me to take her to pictures of fancy restaurants... I am sick and tired of her free-uploading ways. I'm getting rid of her the first indecent pro-photo shoot I get.

Enjoy the video:


Here is a bronze plaque to commemorate the planting of the tree. As the enlightened of you already know; the bronze plaque will soon be accepted as the #1 indicator of historical importance known to man. I'm not sure where I read that but I think it was on a stone plaque somewhere. Anyway please take the time to stare at this picture in frustration. A rough translation conjured up by "google translate" and I is offered below.
From Figuiera Tree in Centro Florianopolis


Much has been written, in prose and verse, of our traditional fig tree. This majestic lush green canopy gives the "November 15" square more grace and beauty, always keeping it beautiful and splendid!

It was a summer morning, sunny and full of life in the month of February 1891, that the young fig, perhaps twenty years old, was removed from the garden of the matrix, and affectionately replanted here. (a chronical of Tolentino's major Alvaro de Souza)


Some more pics are provided below. The one right under this is going to be my blog header for a while. I took it using my panoramic setting. You like?
From Figuiera Tree in Centro Florianopolis


From Figuiera Tree in Centro Florianopolis


From Figuiera Tree in Centro Florianopolis


From Figuiera Tree in Centro Florianopolis


That's all for now.

No comments: