Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Racey Sunday

I'm gonna start this blog entry with a rhetorical question. You may submit your answers to me via my gmail account.

"Have YOU ever witnessed a go karting race featuring some of the worlds best known leaders like Michael Gorbachev, Barak Obama and Kofi Annan?"

The correct answer is no. I haven't either, but you have to admit that it would be pretty cool. Instead, this weekend, I settled for a go-karting race in Florianopolis which featured NASCAR's Jeff Gordon, F1's Felipe Massa, and his teammate, 7 time Formula 1 Champion Michael Schumacher. Not a bad line up. I mean they are no Jigme Thinley or Ivo Sanader but they do have a modest following in the underground go-karting world.

Anyway, I went on Saturday to see the qualifiers and that was all good and well. Got lots of sun (avoided a burn) and pictures. I ate this cool desert which rivals the Ottawa Beavertail. They are called churros. Churros are basically cylinder shaped pieces of deep fried (corn?) dough, filled with your choice of either caramel, milk chocolate or dark chocolate icing, rolled in cinnamon and sugar. The fact that it is brought to your seat completes the experience. I had 2 of them and immediately called a my gym's 24 hour toll free confession line. Here is an artists rendition of me enjoying one of these Lucifer Snacks TM at... lets say; an international go-karting championship featuring 7 time Formula 1 champion Michael Schumacher.


Sunday was the day of the race. An estimated 12,000 fans. Here are 3 of them:

For those interested in reading about the trivial parts of the race such as the outcome feel free to open this link in a new browser. You can read it once your done your second reading my blog. Now getting back to my antics: the race was preluded (thats right... I conjugated it) by some formalities. I YouTubed some video for all to see. Here are the racers lining up for the start of the 1st heat.

Coincidentally, famed tennis star Gustavo Kuerten came walking down the very street that the race was being held on! I took immediate advantage of the situation by filming the event.

Here is a podium shot of the overall winners. Rubens Barrichello is clearly giving me the "stink eye", that SOB bastard! Thinks he can champagne on my parade does he? What does he know anyway?


Post podium, the winners wasted wine as is tradition in the go-karting community. After this video all my pictures and videos are shot through a slightly blurry lens. I blame the media, but some argue that Lucas Di Grassi was the main culprit. Rubens Barrichello was also at the scene of the crime but if anything, the silent Felipe Massa was likely the massa-mind behind it all.

Here are the girls that were so kind as to hold umbrellas and signs for the racers with their names on them so that they remember the correct spelling.

After that shoot was over there was only one thing left to do: meet some local celebrities! Strategically, I decided to start at the municipal level, meeting Florianopolis Mayor Dario Elias Berger. Now if my memory serves him, our conversation went something like this:
Mike: Dear good sir Mayor, what a fine event you have provided for your constituency on this day, The Day of The Great Race!
Mayor: I could not agree with you more fair and simple peasant. The day was unblemished by any coups at any level of government.
Mike: You are correct sir. I would add that accusations of corruption are also at an all time low: a great cause for celebration!
Mayor: Another excellent observation kind minion of the land! I share your enthusiasm for our population containment strategies and wish you a long life of devotion to the flag! Be gone!

Now I can't remember all the details of the conversation, for example which parts were left in, which ones were left out, which ones were taken in or out of context or which ones were merely slanderous without basis. But if there one thing that I can assure you; its that this conversation may have taken place but it probably didn't.

After that the governor of the state of Santa Catarina had the pleasure of meeting me. Or at least the people around me.


Here are some more amazing pictures highlighting some of 7 time Formula 1 Champion Michael Schumacher's greatest achievements:


"Oh! 7 time Formula 1 Champion Michael Schumacher, what great honor won't be bestowed upon you?!"

Also, in an unexpected turn of events, it was declared that I had won the race. I was immediately granted irrevocable knighthood by the 5 richest kings of Brazil, which topped off my day nicely.


In between all the celebrities, action and volcanoes, there were some interludes where the go-karts would drive around the track for extended periods of time, which seemed to distract the crowd enough to avoid an uprising. I have some digital media recordings of that as well which will be saved for another time. It should be noted however that I did see 7 time Formula 1 Champion Michael Schumacher crash a go-kart into a wall of tires bounce off it pulling a fluid 360 and get right back into the race. I only have a short video of me laughing my ass off and then another of him with a bent fender. Again, I'm saving those for a slow news day.

Be gone!

2 comments:

Chantal said...

We had churros in my Spanish class the other night! Apparently slightly different than Brazilian ones, but delicious nonetheless.
Good to hear you're still alive and kicking. We miss you. Also, Pat is in the Dominican right now for work. He was excited about being closer to you.

Fernando said...

"Labels: churros..." hehe

Death food!!!