Tuesday, May 18, 2010

You Remind Me Of The Babe: Jim Henson Tribute Night

You remind me of the babe!
What babe?
The babe with the power!
What power?
The power of Voodoo!
Who do?
You do!
Do What?
Remind me of the babe!

I saw my baby crying hard as babes could cry... What could I do?...


Sunday night was a Jim Henson tribute night. Jim Henson had died 20 years earlier to the day and an underground theater in Toronto (186 Spadina Road) tributed the anniversary with a Jim Henson double header night. First they played The Muppets take Manhattan, then The Labyrinth with David Bowie.


Obviously it was amazing to see the Labyrinth on the big screen in an indy theater. It should also be obvious that all of the David Bowie crouch shots received an overly enthusiastic rise from crowd members of the female persuasion. Finally it goes without saying that Jennifer Connelly seems to have gotten a lot younger since the last time I saw this movie. But what was really cool (but less obvious), is that the show was introduced by one of Jim Henson's friends who helped him create Fraggle Rock. We got some inside stories about The Muppets, Fraggle Rock, The Labyrinth and other cool stuff that Jim did back in the day. Very cool! Here is a video of the Swedish Popcorn Chef... GOLD!



I also bootlegged the most memorable song of the movie for your viewing enjoyment.



Thanks to a certain friend of mine who I will refer to as Kat M, for years I was under the impression that she personally knew Jennifer Connelly. She failed to mention that it was not the Jennifer Connelly from the Labyrinth. I have been living a lie until embarrassingly recent times.

In another shout-out to another hard-core Labyrinth fan; Marc L. Do you know what this picture at the bottom is all about?

If you don't recognize what I am talking about, maybe this picture of The Revelstoke Train Museum will jog the memory.

No comments: