Thursday, September 25, 2008

Crazy Sunday - The Chronicle of Sambaqui

Hey everyone,
I've been busy lately as indicated by my lack of blog. Both past weekends I took picture and videos with intentions of writing blog, but ran short on time. Today I decided to catch up and post these picture and videos and explain the stories behind them. However this morning while minding my own business, I was subject to a most unfortunate case of loosing-of-all-my-videos-and-picture-that-I-had-taken-and-had-planned-to-blog-about. This is a problem that can strike a blogger at anytime and anywhere in the world. There have been report of such occurrences in as far away websites as www.blog.com (thats on third and main) www.bloggersRus.com (third and main as well) and www.blogSupremecyWorld.com (which is on 3rd and Main too) come to think of it they are all in the same complexe on 3rd and Main, which if I'm not mistaken is part of the blog district. Anyway, the point that I'm clearly making here is that this is an epidemic. Loosing-of-all-my-videos-and-picture-that-I-had-taken-and-had-planned-to-blog-about has taken more JPEGs in the month of September than in the entire year of 2006 and 2007 combined! Now that's no laughing matter.
All that to say that I have no picture to show you guys but only a lame text based story of 2500 words or less. Converted that comes to about 2.5 pictures.

First story is 2 Sundays ago I was about to go for an adventure "Around The Island with 40 Reais" (Reals in english - Brazilian currency). That adventure never happened. I got about 40 minutes into it and met a guy from work who was coming to my town with his wife for the afternoon. So we had a nice lunch and ended up walking around the market my town till dark. This was nice cause my adventure was a solution to the boredom resulting from of no media of any kind in my house. "Around The Island with 40 Reais" will have to be postponed till another boring day comes along.

This past Sunday I was less prepared for boredom so I just made my way to the bus terminal hoping that I would think of a cool place to go. I decided that I would visit the house in a town called Sambaqui in which I had planned to live (before I arrived). So I get on the bus and start making my way there. I get there in a 3 bus trip and no real problems. "Hey kids! There's Sambaqui!" I shouted as I drove through the town. I got out took the aforementioned pictures, had a pleasant ocean-side meal at a nice restaurant, and proceed to exit the area.
Note: Please listen to the music here as you read the rest of the tale. Chevy Chase and National Lampoon fans will know where I'm going with this...

So I had my nice meal and start walking out of town "Goodbye Sambaqui" I said as ran towards a bus. So I get on this bus which would eventually lead me back to one of the interemediate stations that I need to go through on my way home... but not before it does a circle and drives through Sambaqui again. "Goodbye Sambaqui... again" I said with a chuckle, but then the bus turns around and goes through Sambaqui before heading to the station. Once I was back at the station I get on my next bus which should lead me home. But I soon learn that that bus was not as advertised and proceed back into Sambaqui goes through it turns around, double through Sambaqui agin, takes a small road (almost getting stuck), going into the backwoods, driving by people riding horses, through a fair, turning around back through the fair, by the horsemen, doing quick Sambaqui in and out once again ("Hey kids there's Sambaqui!") but eventually landing back at the intermediate station again. By this time I had been leaving Sambaqui for about 2 and a half hours and was ready to never go back again. So I take a different colored bus that only goes on highways and eventually made it back, with nothing but photos and a leftover piece of fish from my early supper by the ocean which was now a distant and vague memory. But at least I can write about it and show the cool pics I took right? Wrong! That when Loosing-of-all-my-videos-and-picture-that-I-had-taken-and-had-planned-to-blog-about stikes the hardest: when the photos were hard to get. So instead I can only write and show you this video which I can now sympathize with and you can use to understand my Chevy Chase reference:

No comments: