Monday, September 1, 2008

First day on the job

Before I forget, this is a picture that I stole from someones Facebook profile. It is from Lagoa Conceicao, the part of town that I am living in and plan to live in long term. Whenever people ask where I am staying and I answer Lagoa Conceicao they smile and roll their eyes as though to say "of course". It is the most desirable place to stay it seems or at least the hippest and we all know that I only live in the hippest of places. I also only drive the most fashionable geiroscope balanced scooters to go to places like work... They have a specific name but I can't remember it right now... but it doesn't matter as I only brought it up as a Segway to the story of my first day at work. I got up at about 7:30 even though I didn't start work until 10AM. Had my nice breakfast as usual and watched a little Brazilian TV before walking to the bus station. Luckily I got there at 9:24 cause even though I missed the 9:20 and the 9:33 never showed up, the 9:50 got me to work only 8 minutes late. Lesson learned, buses... not so reliable. Although it may have been a fluke: everyone seemed pretty pissed. Anyway work was great. I got loads of facetime with top management and they are all super nice! Secrataries are researching apartments for me in Lagoa. I met my supervisor and it seems that our incentives and goals for my internship are well alligned. I spent most of the day reading books on software companies and their busiess models (product vs services) which I would do on my freetime anyway then about 8 of us went out to a 3D movie of a U2 performance in Argentina. All in all a great first day. More updates will come once I get settled.

No comments: